Now, I may or may not have orchestrated a Powelball pool at my office (definitely did.). My husband thinks it's because I like wasting money. But really, it's just so fun to dream what you could do with that kind of money. I've heard the horror stories and seen the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary Broke about athletes who make millions and can't afford to pay for dinner. Those precautionary tales tell me what not to do, and that would be spend it. It's not like I would sit and stare at my millions (although I might for a bit.). I have a spending to-do list I've been keeping in my head, and since I won't actually get to execute it, I might as well share it with you.
1. Pay off my student loan debt.
2. Pay off our mortgage.
3. Pay off my car.
4. Pay off credit card debt.
5. Purchase multi-year membership to the gym that I can't generally afford because you pay up front.
6. Set aside money for college for our future, unborn children.
7. Donate to charity, including the Montco SPCA where we adopted our dog.
8. Pay off bfff's student load debt and treat her to the wedding of her dreams.
9. Try to convince my parents to accept money for a house. Don't get mad when they refuse.
10. Have a vacation fund and take one amazing trip every year to a place on our must see list.
11. Household projects we can't afford righ now - Meticulously landscape our yard, paint the house, new furniture, etc.
I would also let myself have a certain amount of money to go on a rich person shopping spree. That means you go shopping and don't look at the price tags. You shop solely on whether you like something or not, if it fits or not, and not that it costs more than you make in a week. One thing I wouldn't do is quit my job. In the dream world where I split the jackpot evenly with my coworkers, I don't think my share would be enough to stop working forever. Besides, I would get bored. I may be more likely to take a chance on a LTS position within a school district, in the event that it didn't work out, we wouldn't be at risk of missing a mortgage payment or something.
it's so much fun to dream about how I could possibly spend 50 million dollars. Truth is, I know it won't be me. I'm not that far gone into the lottery fantasy. But for a fleeting few days, the thought of being debt free and not worrying about mortgage payments, student loans and credit cards is enough to get me to toss in some cash. You definitely won't win if you don't buy in.
No comments:
Post a Comment